Denver, CO or Irvine, CA or Chicago, IL or Ashburn, VA or Dallas, TX
Reports To: Director, Systems Engineering
Zayo Group provides Communications Infrastructure services, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud services to the world’s leading businesses. In addition to high-capacity dark fiber, wavelength, Ethernet and other connectivity solutions, Zayo offers colocation and cloud services in its carrier-neutral data centers. Zayo provides clients with flexible, customized solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth and services.
The Storage Engineer is responsible for the strategic planning, detailed architecture design, and engineering of all storage, backup, and recovery technologies.
- Ensuring optimal performance of storage subsystems.
- Responsible for capacity management and reporting of storage subsystems and backup products.
- Document technical problems, resolutions, and processes for assigned tasks and projects.
- Provide consistent follow-up on incidents/changes until long term objectives are completed.
- Provides technical consultation on current and proposed systems to other organizations and clients.
- Reviews cost analyses and vendor comparison reports to ensure cost-effective and efficient operations.
- Performing testing in preparation of storage related hardware or software upgrades.
- Recommends vendor/approach and presents to senior management.
- Develop and conduct training for Tier II and systems engineers to further develop the storage expertise of the staff.
- Required to be a part of an on-call rotation, and will occasionally be responsible for after-hours maintenance work.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science or Management Information Systems
- 5 + years industry experience
- Experience administering enterprise and mid-tier storage subsystems and understanding of concepts such as split-mirror, snapshot backups and remote storage replication
- Work experience in large hosting or campus data center environment
- Strong industry experience in Enterprise Storage product development
- Understanding of capacity, performance, trending, tuning – storage resource management
- Experience with RAID group configurations and optimizing performance of the SAN
- Installation and configuration of multi-pathing software (i.e. PowerPath etc.)
- Configuring the SAN to operate with VMware and other hypervisors
- Ability to run proof of concept and write use cases
- Must be able to maintain ownership of vendor relationships and ongoing technology assessments
- Ability for oral and written communication with the highest levels of management including the ability to effectively communicate technical information to remote locations.
- Solid understanding of storage networking fundamentals, concepts, and components, including storage subsystems, SCSI, Fibre Channel, switches, iSCSI, HBAs, virtualization, zoning, LUN masking, LVM , etc.
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.