The successful Agile Coach at Alteryx is an effective servant leader, helping teams realize the potential of agile so that we can increase the speed of delivery of value to our customers. You will teach, guide, mentor, support and sometimes challenge Scrum teams and individuals across our Product, Operations and Engineering organizations. As an Agile Coach, you will also help foster a culture of continuous improvement, both at the team and the organizational level. You will serve as a change agent, facilitating the organizational culture changes necessary for sustained agile success. The role requires strong interpersonal acumen, humility, leadership, and mastery of agile principles in software development and deployment.
Success in this role, and in this complex and dynamic organization, is dependent on your knowledge of agile, coaching experience, ability to collaborate with cross-functional leaders, and executive presence. The Agile Coach understands Alteryx’s organizational structure, has tolerance for ambiguity, and knows how to navigate to help us realize our goals. The ideal Agile Coach will embody a unique blend of skills, including excellent coaching and facilitation skills, solid presentation skills, a depth of agile knowledge and experience, great influencing skills, and a drive to get things done.
- Coaching – Ability to help others by asking powerful questions, offering supportive practices, and fostering accountability. Ability to draw from your own knowledge and experience to validate or challenge someone’s narrative, helping them find one that is compatible with being Agile, while providing the support and guidance required for them to fully embrace that understanding. Serve as a reflective observer, noticing interactions and reactions, and providing a perspective that has perhaps not yet noticed, and by doing so without judgement.
- Facilitating – Exhibit excellent facilitation skills in large & small events.
- Education / Training – An Agile Coach may contribute to course development and/or teaching classes so that new hires understand and are quick to come up to speed in our agile system. You will work with organizational leadership to help build their understanding of what makes the system successful and how they play a role in fostering that behavior.
- Utilizing Metrics – The successful Agile Coach is able to use metrics and observations from those metrics to drive conversations. Through these conversations we will identify risks, successes and cross-team patterns of behavior, both at the team and organizational level. Understanding how systemic factors influence metrics, how to get key metrics, and understand what trends and spikes mean is a key value-add for our team.
- Relationship Building – The successful Agile Coach builds and maintains strong relationships and engenders trust across the organization in support of our agile system.
- ALM Administration – An Agile Coach assists in Rally administration, assists new hires to work within it, and administers / configures implementation of the application. This allows teams to be transparent and accountable in their process. You foster the integrity of data in Rally and use that data to identify and address anti-patterns.
- Team Player - Actively contributes to the cohesion and effectiveness of the Agile Coach team, including the ability to hold strong opinions, and yet articulate and advocate for them in a consumable way during discussion, and helping the team drive to complete the work at hand.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, information technology or other relevant discipline; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 – 4 years of experience as an Agile Coach, plus 2-4 years of additional prior experience in other software development roles (ScrumMaster, QA, Product, etc.).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; experience facilitating to both large and small groups, as well as experience coaching team members up to senior management.
- Agile Coach certification or equivalent experience preferred; i.e. ICAgile Certified Expert in Agile Coaching (ICE-AC), Scrum Alliance Certified Team Coach (CTC).
- Thorough understanding of the software development lifecycle from conception to delivery.