Student Success Advisor
Guild is one of Denver’s fastest growing startups - increasing economic mobility for working adults in America and providing education and support to help every student survive and thrive in the economy of tomorrow. Our education benefits platform helps employers offer education as a benefit to their employees, and our network of nonprofit universities and education institutions helps provide every Guild student with the right academic pathway to advance their education and career. In order to achieve our mission to serve 1000s more students and accelerate our growth, we recently raised a $21M Series B round with top tier investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures, Social Capital, Harrison Metal, and Cowboy Ventures. Now, we’re looking to add a new Student Success Advisor (SSA) to the team.
As an SSA, you’ll play a central role in Guild’s mission to empower students to chart paths toward meaningful careers and pioneer education as a benefit with universities and Fortune 1000 companies. From our headquarters in downtown Denver, you'll be working with remote students from all across the world every day, coaching and helping them navigate the challenges of work, school, and life as they pursue job training or degree programs in an online setting.
A day in our open, collaborative workspace might look like:
- Coaching your ~150 students via phone, video conference, email, and text around goal-setting, time management, study skills, self-advocacy, academic success strategies, and broader topics that impact the student balancing work, life, and school.
- Coaching students toward re-enrollment to ensure that they make progress in their program and continue building toward their long-term academic goals.
- Updating internal systems to help us keep track of how we’re doing to support each student and students at the aggregate. You’ll track things like academic progress, concerns, long-term academic goals, and student next steps.
- Monitoring student academic progress each day, celebrating when appropriate and intervening as necessary to assist those students who need extra support.
- Connecting across the team in a group setting to establish weekly student outreach priorities, share best practices, and problem-solve together.
- Treating each student as an individual, understanding that each student’s path to degree attainment may be different, listening to their concerns and dreams, and helping them develop a plan to reach their goals, while also being diligent about gathering insights and learnings from our students to continuously help us improve our student experience and how we serve students.
- Working cross-functionally with marketing, academic products, enrollment services, and other departments to improve the student experience based on insights gained from your students.
In this role, you’ll grow and expand your expertise by:
- Building on your coaching and advising experience, holding students to high expectations and creating a warm, supportive environment.
- Developing creative solutions and innovations to serve working adults as they balance work, school, and personal obligations.
- Taking on specific student-focused projects that increase our effectiveness and efficiency as coaches, like revising student orientation or piloting group coaching.
You’ll know if you’re successful by:
- Meeting team and individual metrics around student engagement, continuing course enrollment, and student satisfaction with coaching.
- Developing candid and open relationships with students that enable you to coach effectively and celebrate authentically as our students progress through learning and career milestones to achieve their educational goals.
- Maintaining student confidentiality by adhering to FERPA Guidelines, upholding students’ privacy.
- Creatively using technology (text, calls, social media, email) to proactively engage students.
- Guiding students through academic & programmatic logistics, including course registration and degree pathing at our partner higher education institutions.
You’ll join a team:
- Focused on our double-bottom-line mission of changing higher ed for working adults and building a successful startup in Denver.
- With various coaching backgrounds - from traditional higher education, to K-12 teachers, to athletic coaches and mental health professionals.
- Of learners & problem-solvers dedicated to our dual mission of changing education in America while building a successful, high-growth company.
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment that you’d support every day.
What you’ll add to Guild – as an individual and part of the broader team:
- Passion for higher education and our mission - Guild is pioneering a new path for education as a benefit in a complicated and regulated space - success means quickly learning the landscape and effectively adapting your expertise.
- Experience in a student-facing position in an academic setting.
- Experience coaching, advising, or developing others, including the ability to deliver clear feedback and hold someone accountable to achieving specific results.
- Experience/comfort in a startup or similar environment where there is frequent change and a need to demonstrate and act with a sense of urgency.
- One of our SSA roles will specifically work with our Academic product/operations team to support our bilingual and ELL students. As a result, those fluent in spoken and written Spanish and English (Preferred: Native Spanish speaker) are encouraged to apply.