Senior Network Engineer
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Raise your hand if you LOVE ads! Yeah, we feel the same… So come be part of the solution, by joining the team that is changing the face of advertising for the better. Founded by the pioneers of real-time bidding (RTB), The Trade Desk has become the fastest growing demand-side platform (DSP) in the industry by offering agencies and their advertisers a best-in-class technology platform that focuses on delivering meaningful and relevant engagement with consumers.
With integrations into every major advertising exchange, we handle well over 4 trillion requests every month and growing – that's more page views and queries than Facebook, Google Search, and Google's entire network of websites combined – all serviced in single-digit-ms response times. Are you interested in working with big data? Do you want to push the edges of scale and responsiveness? It doesn't get much bigger or faster than this!
We are looking to hire a Lead Network Engineer who will build a world-class production network and team. This is a rare opportunity to join on the ground floor of establishing network and datacenter standards such as vendors (Juniper, Arista, Cisco, Cumulus, etc.) and architecture. You love building datacenters and figuring out the most efficient ways to provide low-latency connectivity to our RTB partners. You have experience with both "bare metal" traditional datacenters and cloud environments such as Amazon Web Services. You want to maintain and improve networks that scale to 7+ million transactions per second on a huge, global scale. You are an experienced, hands-on network engineer that will define network technology standards and build-out a team to globally support the network you design. You can code, bringing a “DevOps” mentality to network engineering, automating as many tasks as possible. Production operations at The Trade Desk believes in managing "cattle, not pets" and that will also apply to the network.
Recently named one of the top 10 most promising companies in America by Forbes Magazine and one of the "Best Places To Work" in the nation by Outdoor Magazine, The Trade Desk offers a culture of "relaxed intensity" – one that comes from working alongside one of the most talented teams in our industry, and leading in a race that is ours to lose.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Liaison with existing hosting and network vendors at various levels of detail. Partner with them as-needed to improve their network-related processes, monitoring, capacity planning, and any other details as determined or communicated by engineers
- Lead all aspects of network engineering for major infrastructure projects such as datacenter build-outs
- Evaluate and determine hardware and software standards (including vendor) for cloud networking and physical routers, switches, firewalls, VPNs, load balancers, etc.
- Drive appropriate changes to improve cost efficiency of network systems
- Monitor the capacity of worldwide networks. Continually improve capacity measurement
- Investigate production alerts as appropriate and solve for both the short and long term
- Partner with developers and product owners as needed for network-related performance and efficiency improvements in systems and software
- Troubleshoot, investigate, and fix production network issues in cloud and hosted environments
- Evaluate and lead potential new networking efforts such as IPv6 implementation
- Partner closely with the Senior Infrastructure Engineer to define datacenter details relevant to networking, such as cabling standards, rack elevations, common management tools, out-of-band management, etc.
- Participate in an on-call rotation related to production networks
- Design and implement tools, standards, vendors, and processes for in-house network management, such as supply chain logistics, spares inventory, and hardware repair
- Bootstrap (hire) a network engineering team and lead them for all aspects of global network management and support
WHAT YOU BRING TO THE TABLE:
- 5+ years of network engineering experience
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP
- Extensive experience with a network operating system like JunOS
- Experience managing people, hiring, and leading a team
- Intermediate to advanced BGP knowledge and experience
- Experience with configuration management software such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or SaltStack is a plus
- Familiarity with next-gen network architecture and strategies such as Clos, Anycast, DSR
- Deep experience with physical datacenter infrastructure
- Experience working with appropriate vendors to bootstrap a new physical environment: co-location, cabling, circuits, cross-connects, network and systems integrators, etc.
- Ability to code in at least one language
- Experience managing a hybrid Windows and Linux environment, or a willingness to learn one of these platforms.
- Experience with agile methodologies and a rapid development cycle
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to travel occasionally as needed, including to international locations
- A desire to seek out needless complexity and remove it
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
The Trade Desk will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring, Ordinance No. 184652
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.