Manager, Fiber Engineering
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
The Manager, Fiber Engineering will provide direct supervision and guidance to a group of 10 – 12 Fiber Engineers and GIS Specialists who design of physical fiber path across the Zayo network in support of providing fiber-based services. This role will have overall responsibility to manage the inventory of the Zayo fiber network through database tracking of fiber enclosures, fiber optic cable, conduit, and building data.
- Provide direct supervision to a group of assigned Fiber Engineers and GIS Specialists.
- Set departmental objectives and report on progress and project milestones.
- Handle and resolve customer problems that are escalated for management attention.
- Produce & use various reports for departmental management of work objectives.
- Organize and coordinate with internal organizations to support the timely and accurate implementation of large, complex projects.
- Provide department management in Ops and Sales on-going reports in terms of work status, activity issues, and steps of resolution.
- Design routes for fiber-based services including point-to-point, ring, and path diverse routing.
- Researches existing databases, files, and records for purposes of network design, optimization, and relocation of fiber facilities.
- Estimate and provide design schematics of path, distances, and quantity of splicing work to be performed for fiber projects, relocation of existing fiber facilities, and restoration of existing traffic.
- Ensure fiber optic database is current and accurate by inputting data regarding location of fibers and fiber enclosures into the data management system.
- Ensure inventory of fiber circuits is accurate by inputting data into inventory management data base and maintaining information as changes occur.
- Establish and maintain effective communications and professional working relationships with customers and internal personnel.
- Organize workday efficiently to maximize productivity by utilizing proper time management techniques.
- Comply with departmental and corporate internal controls and processes.
- Employ the highest ethical and business standards and always conduct himself/herself with the greatest degree of professional integrity.
- Assist in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as assigned.
- 4 year College Degree in Engineering or equivalent network experience.
- 5 years technical work experience in the telecommunications industry with emphasis on engineering methods, OSP/ISP, optical equipment & applications, and project management.
- Basic knowledge of fiber network design preferred.
- Proficient in use of current office productivity software and standard office equipment.
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and the ability to function independently of supervision.
- Proficient analytical, organizational, and time management skills, including the ability to effectively prioritize assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize database management software system.
- The individual must be flexible in terms of hours worked and available on a 24/7 basis.
- Domestic travel is essential to the responsibilities of this position.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Zayo is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Zayo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.