Director of Logistics & Customs Compliance
Director of Logistics and Customs Compliance
PopSockets LLC, based in Boulder, Colorado, designs, manufactures and sells innovative lifestyle products. Our flagship product, the PopSockets grip—a collapsible grip and stand that provides secure one-handed holding for any mobile device—was invented by philosophy professor David Barnett, with the first grip sold on PopSockets.com in 2014 and the 100 millionth sold in 2018. PopSockets products embody the company's mission to create empowering, personal, and fun products.
PopSockets was named one of the Best Places to Work in Colorado in 2018 and also listed as Inc. 5000's second fastest growing company in the US, with a 71,424% percent of sales increase over the last three years.
For more information on what it’s like to work at PopSockets, click here. Or check out our awesome careers video here! Read more about our recent rebrand and updated packaging here.
Reports to Chief Operating Officer. The Director of Global Logistics & Trade Compliance will act as the subject matter expert, developing a robust trade compliance program that satisfies Import/Export regulations in each of our global markets, lead relationships with our primary freight / transportation partners and customs brokerages, (including pricing / contract negotiations and review of cost effectiveness & performance to agreed service levels) and partner cross functionally to support on time delivery to meet business requirements.
- Responsible for performance of both logistics and import/export trade compliance for Popsockets global supply chain. This includes managing supplier performance of third-party logistics providers, freight forwarders, carriers, and customs brokers.
- Ensure our imports and exports comply with customs regulations of the US government (as well as all countries we execute business in) and its agencies, in addition to the company’s internal control policies.
- Serve as main point of contact for Export Control & Customs (ECC) Classifications and for customs compliance issues and lead cost and delivery improvement for global transportation network.
- Coordinate and assign classifications to manufactured products while developing tools for maintaining consistent classification standards across the business and maintain databases of parts, materials, etc. to reflect accurate classifications.
- Export license determination (and obtaining export licenses when necessary), import valuation, country of origin determination, document retention, assist declarations, monitoring and auditing U.S. Customs broker, performing denied party screening, auditing Popsockets entry documents, and developing import/export procedures and manuals.
- Analyze costs against transportation methods and determine and implement alternatives to decrease costs globally and continually audit the process to assess business risk and implement process improvements.
- Serve as subject matter expert for the company on customs and transportation related processes. Assist the Legal & Tax Department, particularly with respect to contracts administration and other compliance initiatives.
- Negotiate freight and related contracts for ground, air, and ocean shipments. Ensures overall inbound and outbound freight costs are controlled, minimized, and within budget parameters.
- Management and tracking of transportation and logistics from contract manufacturers to fulfillment centers.
- Manages and plans for logistics policies, objectives and initiatives – providing training and policy enforcement across the organization
- BS/BA required (licensed broker desirable)
- 7 - 10 years of experience with international air and sea logistics
- Import/Export experience, including import compliance
- Familiarity with U.S. Customs product classification and rulings
PopSockets is dedicated to the practice of equal opportunity employment. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants and employees on the basis of age, race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, color, creed, ancestry, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. This prohibition includes unlawful harassment based on any of these protected classes. Unlawful harassment includes verbal or physical conduct which has the purpose or effect of interfering with an individual’s work performance, or creating an intimidating, hostile, offensive, unsafe or otherwise non-welcoming work environment. This policy applies to all employees, including managers, supervisors, co-workers; and non-employees such as customers, clients, vendors, consultants, etc.