VP, Underlying Rights
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
Providing the services listed above requires a variety of property rights (underlying rights) which permit Zayo to locate its communications network along these properties, which are generally owned by others. Zayo’s customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
The position will support a variety of legal and regulatory functions including obtaining and managing various rights of way and permits, franchise agreements, pole attachment agreements and the like. The position will also involve filing and managing complaints with regulators and in the courts concerning the granting and managing of permits, including their costs. We are seeking an exceptionally strong senior-level candidate that is ready for additional responsibility, accelerated learning and career growth. This position supports multiple VPs and Executives, and will report to and work closely with Zayo’s General Counsel and other senior attorneys.
- Provide guidance on regulatory matters including advising the business on relevant wireline and wireless telecommunications regulations, acquisition of rights of way, state and local permits, utility and other pole attachments, and other underlying rights needed to operate a nationwide communications network with dense intra-city presence.
- Manage a small team of underlying rights employees, but be primarily and personally responsible for obtaining the company’s most critical and time sensitive rights.
- Ensure compliance with existing underlying rights; negotiate new underlying rights agreements.
- Have experience in various complaint processes, including with federal and state regulators and in the court system.
- Locate, hire and manage outside resources (such as attorneys and lobbyists) as and where needed to obtain necessary underlying rights, including on an expedited basis where required.
- Work in a fast-paced business environment where time is often of the essence, particularly where underlying rights are required for network construction on behalf of Zayo’s customers.
- Communicate effectively with Zayo leadership, outside resources, and other third parties such as governmental agencies, other communications and non-communications companies and property owners.
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned from time to time by management and as required by the needs of the business.
- At least 10 years of experience in network development, including working with municipalities, obtaining and managing rights of way and other underlying rights.
- The ideal candidate will have relationships with external consultants and advisors knowledgeable about speeding the process of obtaining underlying rights agreements,
- Strongly prefer a candidate with wireline and wireless telecommunications experience, including drafting and negotiating underlying rights agreements.
- Experience with managing complaints at the FCC, other regulatory agencies and in the court system is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills required. Ability to communicate with other personnel and external parties through strong, organized writing and verbal skills. Strong attention to detail.
- Competence in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts.
- Strong organizational skills, including management of projects and workload and setting goals and priorities.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave