Sr. Product Counsel: Privacy
- Conducts legal product reviews and maintains an inventory of features, technology, data, and privacy compliance requirements of the product.
- Develops and implements legal-product processes to ensure privacy success
- Regularly meets with internal teams (e.g. product) to understand strategies, roadmap, and initiatives, and advises on new features, activities, etc. to ensure privacy compliance
- Provides early advice on innovations to speed development
- Develops and manages programs for compliance requirements specific to the various products
- Works with team to conduct Privacy Impact assessments related to product and associated technologies and vendors.
- Manages data flow mapping and ensures appropriate documentation is in place for data transfers
- Works cross functionally with security and other teams to ensure data privacy and security compliance
- Assesses risk associated with business activities and determines solutions
- Takes lead, or may partner with cross functional teams, to ensure: (i) necessary terms in customer contracts, including proper drafting of service descriptions and (ii) review of vendor contracts for necessary terms and privacy impact assessments
- Responds timely to inquiries from colleagues to provide sound, succinct and actionable advice.
- 10+ years of direct experience as privacy or product counsel; preferably with in-house and law firm experience in the tech space
- Qualified to practice law in California or state of residence
- Expertise in global privacy and regulatory frameworks, including GDPR, CASL, HIPAA as it pertains to Business Associates, FERPA, FedRAMP, etc.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively across cross-functional teams and build consensus among stakeholders
- Passion to work in collaborative team environment with an attitude to deliver happiness and a driving desire to build privacy enthusiasm
- Extremely organized with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, multi-task, adjust to rapidly changing priorities, and drive strategic projects to successful delivery.
- Sense of humor, excellent interpersonal skills, business judgment, strategic thinking, superior work ethic, flexibility and ability to work independently
- Experience supporting product teams across multiple areas of subject matter expertise a plus
- Ability to quickly issue spot and appropriately prioritize risk and outcomes a must
- Growth mindset: every new challenge is an opportunity to learn and grow/