Sr. Counsel – Regulatory and Telco
Scope of Role - This role works with the team to develop strategy, compile, document, and implement legal requirements, and provide first line support in areas such as:
- Product and feature launches
- New market entry
- Geo expansion and international compliance
- Technical product design for regulatory requirements
- Data compliance as it pertains to telco requirements
- Marketing strategies, initiatives, and compliance as needed for Zoom Phone
- Contracting matters
- Export compliance
- Tax and pricing issues
- Customer support responses, including cooperation with law enforcement
- Documentation needed to support business initiatives
- Conducts legal product reviews and maintains an inventory of features, technology, data, and compliance requirements.
- Develops and implements legal-product processes and programs for compliance
- Regularly meets with internal teams (e.g. product) to understand strategies, roadmap, and initiatives, and advises on new features, activities, etc. to ensure compliance
- Provide early advice on regulations to speed development and compliance
- Assesses risk associated with business activities and determines solutions
- Takes lead, or may partner with cross functional teams, to ensure: (i) necessary terms in customer contracts, including proper drafting of service descriptions and (ii) review of vendor contracts for necessary terms
- Responds timely to inquiries from colleagues to provide sound, succinct and actionable advice.
- Conducts regular activities to ensure compliance, both for the product and for the business in areas related to Zoom Phone
- 10+ years of direct experience in regulated telecommunications; preferably with in-house and law firm experience in the tech space
- Qualified to practice law in California or state of residence
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and growing a unified communications platform that includes a regulated telecom service.
- Expertise in global telecom regulations and technical regulatory requirements.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively across cross-functional teams and build consensus among stakeholders
- Passion to work in collaborative team environment with an attitude to deliver happiness
- Fastidious attention to detail required to manage full scale regulatory compliance programs including all filings, reports, notices and communications with regulatory bodies in multiple jurisdictions.
- Extremely organized with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, multi-task, adjust to rapidly changing priorities, and drive strategic projects to successful delivery.
- Sense of humor, excellent interpersonal skills, business judgment, strategic thinking, superior work ethic, flexibility and ability to work independently
- Ability to quickly issue spot and appropriately prioritize risk and outcomes a must
- Growth mindset: every new challenge is an opportunity to learn and grow.