Sovrn is seeking an experience attorney to assume the role of In-House Counsel. As In-House Counsel you would be responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives and providing senior management with quick and thoughtful advice on a variety of matters. The position is responsible for ensuring Sovrn's compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), as well as managing the company’s legal affairs and overseeing the work of outside counsel. The In-House Counsel is directly involved in complex business transactions, including the negotiation of business critical contracts.
- Corporate Governance: Manages corporate resolutions and key areas of governance, assuming responsibility that company conducts its business in compliance with Delaware law and other applicable securities laws and regulations. Advises on legal aspects of the company’s financings, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Outside Counsel: Manages selection, retention, and evaluation of outside counsel, displaying expertise for retaining the right level of counsel at the right fee structure/budget for differ. Ability to manage and accurately forecast legal fees to an annual budget.
- Contract and Transaction Support: Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures. Reviews and negotiates customer and business partner contracts. Drafts and negotiates privacy and data protection terms for revenue, vendor, and business partner agreements.
- Compliance: Acts as Compliance Officer and Data Protection Officer for the Company. Provides the following:
- Drives General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance initiative, including being the key voice of interpretation of regulations and related business response.
- Partners closely with and advises our security, product and other business teams on privacy and data protection-related legal matters.
- Evaluates the impact of U.S. and international legislative, regulatory, legal developments and industry guidelines involving privacy and security.
- Participates in cross-functional company projects related to data protection and privacy by design and default.
- Develops and leads internal audit and corporate compliance programs.
- Legal Policies and Program Management: Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters. Develops and leads corporate legal strategy and provide expert and strategic legal advice to management.
- Manage Risk/Manage Litigation: Set internal governance policies and manage the impact of external factors. Evaluate and weigh multiple inputs and impacts of any decision or course of action. Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically. Identify proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks. Judges the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted.
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one US state bar
- 5 -10 years of relevant experience, with an outside law firm or in-house (or a combination thereof)
- Experience with or knowledge of U.S. and international privacy and data protection laws, regulations and standards
Position Reports to: CFO