Director of Legal
About Caliper Foods
Caliper Foods, formerly Stillwater, (caliperfoods.life) is a consumer packaged goods company that offers safe and standardized hemp-derived soluble cannabinoids to both consumers and manufacturers alike.
Caliper Foods encompasses two distinct business lines: (1) Caliper Commercial Ingredients, which provides soluble CBD ingredients at scale to food, beverage, supplement, and other CPG manufacturers; and (2) Caliper Consumer, which sells its own line of CBD-infused products nationwide.
Caliper Foods was founded in 2015 on the belief that cannabinoids, especially non-psychoactive compounds like CBD, are a major new category in functional ingredients.
About the Job
We are looking for a Director of Legal, who will be Caliper Food's first legal hire, to handle and lead all day-to-day legal tasks across our different lines of business. You will be working in a dynamic environment and handling legal tasks across the full spectrum of legal work - from commercial contracts and strategic partnership agreements, to corporate maintenance and filings, to IP strategy and applications. You’ll work directly with our executive team on anything and everything legal, as well as interfacing regularly with our scientists and product experts to spot legal issues, identity valuable IP, and collaboratively figure out how to move the business forward while managing (but not eliminating) legal and regulatory risk.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating key commercial agreements in all facets of our business - partnerships, sales, real estate, financing, etc.
- Managing our IP portfolio and developing a forward-looking IP strategy, including leading any new necessary filings
- Managing corporate records and filings
- Administering our stock plan and handling all equity compensation records and agreements
- Keeping updated on state and national hemp and CBD regulations, and advising our executive team on how to manage risks while moving our business forward
- Assisting in forward-facing advocacy efforts with regulators
- Selecting and managing outside counsel relationships to assist in all of the above with an eye toward efficiency in time and cost
What we’ll love about you:
- You’re a lawyer, but deeply practical — you understand that it’s impossible to eliminate risk generally without crippling a business.
- You’re a top notch issue spotter — and efficient about solving and managing those issues.
- You know it’s more valuable to get to 90% of the right answer in 1/10 of the time than 99% of the right answer in 10x the time (and you hate writing memos).
- You love working in a fast-paced environment with a bunch of really smart people working on hard technical and business problems.
- You have a great bedside manner and can get your point across without alienating folks, especially technical people.
- Your default answer to any question is “yes, and here’s how” rather than “no”.
- You are constantly learning new things, and you like it.
- You are a team player. We’re all in this together.
- You understand that cannabinoids are an emerging industry with high legal risk, but also with incredible upside and potential for dramatically improving everyday peoples’ lives.
What you’ll love about us:
- A fast-growing company with a deep belief in the value of developing talent internally and promoting from within.
- A group of sane, mostly rational executives who try their best to be decent human beings.
- An environment where fire drills are the exception, not the norm.
- We offer flexible PTO for all full-time employees.
- We pay competitive salaries for all roles. For salaried employees, we also cover 100% of your healthcare premium.
- For more details on the culture we foster, visit: http://bit.ly/2F5zhPt
- A law degree from an accredited institution and an active law license in Colorado.
- 5+ years practicing law in a relevant specialty — some commercial contracts and IP experience preferred.
- 2+ years experience practicing law in-house, preferably at a technology company, food or supplements company, or other fast-paced startup environment.
- Some knowledge of, and affinity for, the cannabinoid industry, particularly as to legal and regulatory issues; food and beverage experience is also a nice-to-have.