Software Engineer Intern, Data Platform (Summer 2019)
Through our publishers, Sovrn Holdings reaches over 200 million people every day, generating over 10 billion HTTP requests daily. These requests must be processed in less than 250 milliseconds, and result in several petabytes of data on a monthly basis. The exciting technical problems we solve require a world class team and engineering culture to deliver against our mission.
We are looking for a Software Engineering intern for the Summer of 2019, who will work with our Data Platform Team, by completing and presenting projects that fulfill immediate business needs. You’ll gain solid exposure in the areas of:
- Cloud Computing the AWS Ecosystem: think EMR, Spark, hive, kafka, etc.
- Big Data (peak hours exceed 1B events/hour, feeding a multi-petabyte data lake)
- Software Engineering and Data Science integrating at a massive scale
As part of our dynamic internship program, you will expand upon your professional skill set in a unique and fun environment.
About the job
Your specific project will depend a lot on what you bring to the job, and what you most want to learn over the summer. My commitment to you is that we define a project together that will challenge you and grow your skills, with the support to give you a reasonable shot to complete it and send you back to school with a great sense of pride and accomplishment.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working with a team of outstanding software engineers and data scientists, covering a wide range of experience and perspectives
- Breaking down a full project plan in to incremental deliveries, and tracking your work against those steps
- Learning new tech and new ways to apply what you already know
- Seeing the results of your work in our bottom line
- Giving a kick-ass presentation of your work to an appreciative audience at the end of your internship
You’re driven, thoughtful, and curious. You understand that making software do the right thing is only part of the battle - you also must think about what can cause your software to fail. You’re comfortable working with a wide variety of people, and respect the perspectives of those that disagree with you. Above all, you love learning, and sharing what you know.
The successful candidate will have:
- Undergraduate with a planned graduation in 2020 or 2021, pursuing your BS/BA in Computer Science, or Applied Math with a CS focus
- Ability to work 40 hours a week during the summer at our Boulder office
- Solid Java skills
- Desire for professional growth opportunities and to be in a dynamic learning environment
- Ability to efficiently multi-task and to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving and results
Good to have:
- Experience in the AWS ecosystem
We spend a great deal of our time online. Whether it’s for information, commerce, or entertainment, each of us has come to depend on what we research, discover, and share. Publishers – those who create and curate content – are what makes the Internet great. Yet these publishers practice their craft largely alone, in siloes – without reference points or insightful understanding about where they sit in the grand scheme of things. To add to the challenge, once a Publisher’s content is in the wild, then the task of building engagement, growing a loyal following and enriching the engagement with that following can sometimes feel like shots in the dark or worse, a black box. Moreover, making money from their craft can be a complex task for any independent publisher who might prioritize generating content first and money second.
Sovrn believes that independent publishers are the Internet's vibrancy. As a partner and advocate to tens of thousands of independent publishers, Sovrn provides tools, technologies and services that help publishers (a) make money; (b) get distribution to grow their audience; and (c) access a massive data commons providing extraordinary insights.
The landscape of content networks, adtech vendors, and the myriad of buy-side / sell-side companies can be a complete maze for any reasonable person to decipher. Sovrn cuts through the noise and simplifies things with a basic, straightforward mission:
“Help publishers do more of what they love —and less of what they don’t.”