Data Science Intern
About the Trade Desk
The Trade Desk is a global technology company with a mission to create a better Internet for everyone through principled, intelligent advertising. Handling over 600 billion queries per day (more than 100X the query volume of search globally), our platform operates at unprecedented scale. We have also built something even stronger and more valuable: an award-winning culture based on trust, empathy, collaboration, and ownership. By working together across typical dividing lines, we are better as a team than any of us could be apart.
About the Data Science Team:
The Data Science team is responsible for transforming the data we generate off of our 600 billion queries per day into actionable intelligence using advanced modelling and optimization algorithms. Our mission is to develop new and powerful means of growing the value of our clients’ campaigns across millions of web-based publishers.
As a Data Science intern, you will:
As an intern, you will have the opportunity to contribute in the development of new and existing data products, experiencing first-hand the day-to-day life of a professional data scientist. In addition to close mentorship from members of our data science team, you will also interact closely with our product, trading, and engineering teams to oversee the implementation of your projects. Our hope is to see all of our interns’ ideas and research contribute directly to our client facing product.
You might be a great fit for a Data Science internship at The Trade Desk if:
- You are enthusiastic to learn (and teach) new technologies, machine learning techniques, and advancements in the adtech industry
- You have an abundance of intellectual curiosity
- You have a solid understanding of statistical machine learning and optimization techniques as well
- You want to work with big data technologies such as Hadoop, Hive, Spark, AWS
- You have experience in at least one programming languages (Python, R, Java, Scala, etc.) and are comfortable with SQL by the start of the internship
- You are able to deliver a convincing story derived from the data sets to both a technical and non-technical audiences
Our Data Science team is working on:
- Optimization:Ad campaigns are often combinations of lots of different types of ads -- different images/messages are shown on different web pages (or apps), to different kinds of people. We build models that determine what combination is performing the best for each advertiser. Based on that performance we automatically re-balance budget across the best performing combination.
- Prediction and forecasting:Our advertisers want to know how many people will see their ad and at what price before they finalize their strategy. For one of our ads to be shown, it likely has to participate in up to 3 different auctions. Can we predict with confidence how often we will win those auctions and at what price? How does that vary based on external market demands?
- Experimental design:How do we measure the impact of any changes we introduce to our optimization models? How do we quantify any tradeoffs those models may introduce (e.g., you pay more for each ad impression, but each impression is more valuable).
- Causal inference:How do we determine what ads are performing best? What does it mean to have a high performing campaign? (hint: clicks aren't the answer!)
What We Care About:
What and how you can contribute is what’s important to us. Our consideration is not limited by the kind of education you have or the specific technologies you have experience with. What we care about having good people to pitch in. Our culture is innovative, energetic, and collaborative. Those aren’t perks – those are just the way we do business.
Does this sound like you? If so, we welcome your application and the chance to meet you.
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.