Technical Accounting Manager
Marketo provides the leading engagement marketing software and solutions designed to help marketers develop long-term relationships with their customers – from acquisition to advocacy. Marketo is built for marketers, by marketers and is setting the innovation agenda for marketing technology. Marketo puts Marketing First. Headquartered in San Mateo, CA, with offices around the world, Marketo serves as a strategic partner to large enterprise and fast-growing small companies across a wide variety of industries. To learn more about Marketo’s Engagement Marketing Platform, LaunchPoint® partner ecosystem, and the vast community that is the Marketo Marketing Nation®, visit www.marketo.com.
Technical Accounting Manager
Marketo has an amazing opportunity for a bright, energetic Technical Accounting Manager to join our fast-growing software company. This position will report into a new Technical Accounting and Revenue Recognition team being developed to provide the backbone to our global accounting team, under the oversight of our VP, Corporate Controller. This team will be directly engaged in the Company’s most critical and material transactions and will be involved in helping guide the business through the coming years of extreme growth. Among other responsibilities, the Technical Accounting Manager will interpret, present, and explain complex accounting issues to management and external auditors. Additionally, this high-profile position frequently meets and collaborates with employees outside of the finance organization, so strong interpersonal and communication skills are required. Finally, candidates must be prepared to work in a fun, fast-paced, and dynamic environment.
This position will reside in either our corporate headquarters in San Mateo, CA in the heart of Silicon Valley, or our newly opened and freshly remodeled downtown Denver office, with a “Silicon Valley” atmosphere where the business is creating a Global Center of Excellence.
- Ensure proper accounting for technical accounting areas such as stock-based compensation, goodwill, acquisition accounting, leases, debt, etc.
- Engaged with the technical revenue recognition team, as needed, to ensure revenue is recognized appropriately
- Considered subject matter expert on changes to US GAAP accounting standards and lead the company in implementation of those standards
- Provide guidance to the company on contractual language, deal scenarios, etc. from an accounting perspective
- Interpret contracts and prepare technical memos addressing accounting conclusions
- Participate in the implementation of ASC 606
- Assist with financial audits including reconciliations, support documentation, and communication with external auditors
- Assist with month end and quarter end close activities
- Identify and implement process improvements
- Interact with cross-functional teams
- Miscellaneous projects as necessary
REQUIRED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and/or Finance
- CPA strongly preferred
- 5 years technical accounting or audit based experience, including Big 4 public accounting
- Advanced knowledge of Excel
- Strong analytical skills and a detail orientated personality
- Ability to problem solve, work independently and multi-task in fast-paced environment
- Exceptional project and time management skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience with Intacct desired
Marketo is an equal opportunity employer