VP, Software Development- Platform Team
HomeAdvisor seeks a VP, Software Development to help guide and shape our growing technology teams. You will be entrusted with the care and evolution our world-class application development teams focusing on architectural excellence, Agile, results-first execution, and pragmatic (but aggressive) investments. You’ll need solid practical experience in a Java and web-based environment with a passion for team development and leadership. This role will direct our internal tools and technical architecture teams, and as such, will engineer a foundation for the rest of our teams to build from. Previous management experience is a must.
A few of the things you'd be responsible for:
- Lead the planning and oversight of the future state architecture for HomeAdvisor.com
- Leading our Platforms organization, i.e. technical architecture, devops, dev tooling, data engineering, and SRE teams.
- Partner with business leaders (Product Development, UX, Marketing, Finance, and other executives) in guiding the product vision of our homegrown applications platforms.
- Collaborate with other VPs and Directors of Software Development in setting the culture for all of software development.
- Recruit and grow all Engineering team members, including training and mentoring new managers and team leads.
- Represent the team as a member of the Technical Directors committee.
- Help define HomeAdvisor's development methodologies and processes, with a focus on application security, scalability, stability and performance.
- Manage budgets related to personnel and feature state architecture plans in your area of responsibility.
- Direct the Service Professional delivery teams, who are responsible for developing the tools to help our professional network grow our business, as needed.
- Live by and champion our cultural values.
- Provide strategic guidance and direction to development teams.
Why you'll want to work for us:
- com is the industry-leading online marketplace connecting homeowners to pre-qualified home improvement resources in their area – a homeowner turns to HomeAdvisor every 5 seconds for help.
- We're one of Denver's largest, and most successful, internet companies, and a member of the IAC family, which includes many of the most successful media and internet brands in the world – Match.com, Tinder, Vimeo, CollegeHumor, among others.
- You have a direct impact on our customer experience every single day.
- We're not afraid to make mistakes and figure out how we can be better in time for the next release.
What we'll be looking for in your background:
- 10+ years of software development experience, particularly in Java and web-based applications.
- 10+ years of experience in building distributed systems or big data solutions.
- 5+ years architecting cloud native applications, to include operating in a continuous deployment model.
- Experience working with offshore or nearshore development teams.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire, motivate, and grow engineering teams that deliver quality products.
- Agile methodologies. Have experience helping teams’ transition from scrum agile methodology to lean.
- Leadership. You act as a servant leader, consistently demonstrating the 10 core principles specifically developing and building other leaders.
- Data. You are an expert in designing, operating and fine tuning highly available data persistency layers. You teach and mentor engineers on how to apply CAP theorem in everyday operations. You have a deep knowledge of machine learning and artificial intelligence to solve business problems.
- Scalable backend. You understand scalability challenges and performance of server-side code. You can design and develop horizontally-scalable, resilient and efficient systems.
- Cloud. You are proficient in cloud technologies and are hands-on in at least one cloud platform: GCC, AWS, or Azure. You are able to both design and develop cloud-based systems and operate them in an automated fashion.
- Security. You are able to design secure distributed systems and assure operational processes around security. You understand fitness for purpose of security techniques.
Sound like you? Send us your resume and we'll find time to chat.
HomeAdvisor joined forces with Angie’s List in September 2017 to create the largest home services marketplace in the nation. We connect millions of homeowners across the globe with home service professionals through our innovative and user-friendly products. HomeAdvisor and Angie’s List employ nearly 4,000 employees across the U.S., with our biggest hubs in Denver, CO and Indianapolis, IN. Our parent company, ANGI Homeservices (ANGI), operates 10 brands in eight countries, and is headquartered in Denver, CO. This role will sit in our brand new office in the RiNO neighborhood of downtown Denver, and will report to the SVP, Software Development.