Systems Software Engineer
Greater Boulder Area
Xcalar is pushing the limits of technology to help people discover deep meaningful insights from data, and our mission is to become the de facto standard for next generation Big Data Processing and Analytics Engines.
Due to our continued growth, we are looking to hire System Software Engineers to join our team! In this role, you will be a critical part of our engineering team, developing system software at the core of Xcalar’s relational compute engine.
Xcalar’s engineering team is responsible for developing the products used in financial services industry, government institutions and pharmaceutical companies to provide timely insights in production, and hence has to be highly reliable and scalable. All of us in Engineering take pride in the code that we write, and we go to lengths to ensure our products are dependable and robust because any bugs can major disruptions.
- Architect, design, and develop the microkernel infrastructure and system software upon which the Xcalar product line is built
- Participate in all phases of the development lifecycle from product definition and design, through implementation and testing
- Design and reason about parallel algorithms to ensure that operations can meet the defined SLAs and run as parallel and concurrent as possible whilst remaining free of race conditions
- Work on challenging distributed system problems, such as recovery, consensus, load balancing, etc.
- Focus on delivering the highest levels of robustness, performance, modularity, and simplicity in a distributed, multi-threaded environment
- Work with engineering leadership to ensure the design and development are on track and meet our product goals and quality metrics
- Create clear and concise documentation for all the work performed, including architecture and design documents, code comments, technical notes, READMEs, bug fixes, root cause analysis, etc.
- Work with the automation team and help with issue triage and resolution as needed during the product development process
- BS/MS in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- 5+ years systems software engineering
- Proficiency in C / C++ programming
- Ability to develop parallel algorithms that can benefit from today's CPU architectures
- Strong computer architecture and OS background with expertise in schedulers, performance, memory / buffer management, and networking
- Strong motivation or background to work on parallel and distributed algorithms to scale systems from machine level to application logic
- Sound understanding of CPU, machine and instruction set architectures
- Strong track record in delivering production software with high quality
- Excellent communication skills and experience working in high-performance teams
- Interested in working at a small, fast-moving, early stage startup
Xcalar is an exciting, early-stage, Series A, well-funded, Big Data, software startup in hyper-growth mode.
The Xcalar product suite comprises the following:
- Xcalar Data Platform, a scale-out analytics platform for data engineers, data scientists, and business analysts
- Xcalar Virtual Data Warehouse, a scale-out data warehouse for operational analytics
Xcalar is an open and extensible analytics platform that delivers actionable insights with simplicity, speed, and scale. Its patented technologies provide a cloud-scale platform for the complete analytics pipeline including data preparation, data science, data warehousing, and ad-hoc analytics. Xcalar’s enterprise grade software scales to hundreds of nodes, thousands of users, and petabytes of data, for both cloud and on-premises deployments.
Xcalar uniquely extends native relational algebra on a scale-out platform for modern data, giving enterprises the ability to intuitively discover insights using a variety of open programming languages, interactive model design, as well as traditional SQL. It provides visibility, access, and auditability with sophisticated data lineage through all stages of the analytics pipeline.
Xcalar provides a comprehensive platform for analyzing and processing big data.
Xcalar is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Xcalar considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected class. Please reference http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf and
https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf for more information.
Read Full Job Description