At Havenly, we believe everyone deserves a beautiful home that they love. We’re growing fast and fundamentally changing the way people shop for their homes - a multi-billion dollar industry. Through our proprietary technology and our team of talented designers, we make designing and shopping for your home, fun, easy, and accessible for all.
As the Engineering Manager at Havenly, you will lead a team of engineers to ship delightful experiences to every customer and potential customer who visit Havenly’s site. We expect that you will be both a mentor and team leader for your engineers. This means that you will help with technical decisions, coach the careers of the engineers reporting to you, and partner with stakeholders cross-functionally - and you will definitely be writing code. On a typical day, you can expect to coach engineers to level up their technical and soft skills, to plan and scope future projects, and to help fix a small bug or guide a new feature development.
If you're an experienced engineering leader, who also has a passion for building delightful user experiences, join us!
This position is based in Denver, CO and will report to the Director of Engineering.
What you'll do:
- Build and grow an amazing engineering team with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast. Work with cross-functional stakeholders (including product, marketing, analytics and design) to craft a compelling vision and long term strategy for growth.
- Manager large projects spanning cross-functional teams outside of just engineering.
- Hire and support senior engineers and technical leads within the team to be able to scale the organization in the coming months to achieve aggressive growth goals.
- Bring technical expertise and judgment to the team. Provide guidance on how to build systems the right way at scale.
- Provide coaching, guidance, and mentorship to the engineers on your team.
- Foster an engineering organization that exists to efficiently deliver high-quality code to production that powers the business
- Mentor and help engineers to plan and execute their career paths while also jumping into the code.
- Seek out and listen to the customer, and work with your team to create solutions that will have the highest impact.
- Set context with the team so they are empowered and equipped to make great business- and Engineering-informed decisions
We're Looking For:
- A great leader -
- The ability to inspire other team members with their technical expertise, a relentless drive for getting things done, and a strong desire to foster knowledge sharing.
- Experience setting a strong vision and roadmap for the team and able to execute on it through leading by example.
- Ability to drive technical decision making through objectively assessing trade-offs based on architecture, scope, business priorities, and impacts to the product experience.
- Experience growing and mentoring engineers.
- Give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to the recognition of your engineers and not just yourself.
- Communicates early and often, building a culture of trust and collaboration between engineers and teams across multiple offices and time zones.
- Be an aggressive source of engineering talent and be comfortable closing candidates.
- Can clearly articulate desired outcomes and motivate engineers to develop simple solutions to complex problems
- A great technologist -
- A senior engineer who is excited to share what you know, architect great software and develop the technical skills of others.
- You have a track record of delivering features and functionality on time with high quality.
- You believe in the craft of software engineering, but are pragmatic when necessary.
- Shows strong technical judgment on engineering architecture and product decisions.
- Always puts the user first when reasoning about trade-offs.
- Thrives in environments where you have to make decisions with incomplete information but can change course when presented with new data.
- Likes working at multiple levels of the technical stack.
- Ability to manage large projects spanning cross-functional teams outside of just engineering.
- Have established a technical strategy and roadmap previously, successfully setting key performance metrics in close collaboration with other Engineering and Product Managers.
- Ability to gather product & business requirements, gut checks new ideas and proposals. Proven track record establishing and driving technical advances, reducing tech debt and making significant improvements in systems.
- B.S. in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent years of work experience.
- 8+ years experience developing and scaling web applications
- 3+ years leading an engineering team in a fast-growing company
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles and fundamentals including data structures and algorithms.
- Intimate knowledge of the Linux command line including shell scripting
- Proficient in at least one scripting language, and ability to discuss trade-offs of a few programming languages.
- Fluency with any of Ruby, Elixir, Erlang.
- Strong understanding of web-app performance fundamentals and related dev tools.
- Strong database fundamentals and experience with MySql or Postgresql.
- Worked with search engines such as Algolia, ElasticSearch, Lucene, Solr.
- Experience using async message queues such as Kafka.
- Mastery of git and Github workflows.
It’s challenging - You get the opportunity to work hard, learn a ton, and grow your skillset. This is not a 9-5 job, we have high expectations, and every day you’ll be faced with new challenges where you have to figure out how to put one foot in front of the other and move forward.
It’s fulfilling - We get the opportunity to affect one of the most personal aspects of someone's life, their home, every single day. We feel really lucky to be able to create spaces where people feel comfortable, make lifetime memories in, and call home.
It’s fun - We truly love what we do. Growing a business is fun. Working with a team of incredibly talented people who also love what they do is fun. Getting to do what you love to do and make an impact is fun.
At Havenly we hire people who exhibit gumption, act like owners, outperform, and are always playful. If this sounds like a great fit for you, and a challenge you're ready to run with, we want to hear from you!