Director of Software Engineering
TrainingPeaks provides the complete web, mobile and desktop solution for enabling smart and effective endurance training. Our products include TrainingPeaks.com Athlete and Coach Edition, WKO+ desktop software for cutting-edge scientific analysis and planning, and the TrainingPeaks mobile apps for iOS and Android. TrainingPeaks solutions are used by Tour de France teams, IRONMAN® World Champions, Olympians, athletes and coaches around the world to track, analyze and plan their training.
Our engineers share a passion for software, continuous learning, teams, and technology.
As Director of Software Engineering with TrainingPeaks, you are responsible for people, process, and systems of our engineering department. Reporting to the General Manager, you collaborate with other key leaders to efficiently and effectively execute on the company’s product & technology strategy. You champion engineering concerns to the GM and executive team, supporting a healthy culture, while evangelizing the company vision into the engineering department.
You are responsible for creating and maintaining highly effective cross-functional product teams. Through extensive experience managing individual technical contributors, you are capable of assembling strong teams and optimizing the dynamics within those teams for optimal communication, collaboration, and outcomes. You now provide that same leadership and guidance to engineering managers and tech leads who report to you.
You are the owner of the software engineering process within the teams and the department, and closely collaborate with your Product peer to define and maintain an overall development process. You show strong focus on optimizing the whole through reducing waste and improving feedback loops. As the owner of the low-level engineering process, you are a strong advocate for modern engineering best practices, driving process adoption of unit testing, continuous integration and deployment, test automation, and other methodologies.
With a technical background you are able to guide the systems engineering efforts across teams and departments. You have a strategic mindset, understanding how small changes in one area may severely impact other areas; or how two concurrent initiatives may benefit from each other.
We believe in self-managed teams who own their products throughout the entire lifecycle and are accountable to each other for success. This translates to managers who embody the servant leadership philosophy, striving to create an environment for success. The goal is to maximize productivity and value through a supportive culture of learning, healthy conflict, and visionary technology leadership.
Lastly, the role definition for any leader is intrinsically ambiguous due to the complex, human nature of the work. The ideal individual for this role can take this ambiguity, uncertainty, and risk and turn it into cohesive action based on a mindset of “knowing what needs to be done” through initiative, grit, and genuine care for the people and the business.
How To Apply
As a senior leader, we look for Servant Leadership qualities and the ability to express your ideas and experiences in a cohesive, logical, structured fashion. For that reason, we ask that you submit an essay-style cover letter addressing the following notions:
- What does Servant Leadership or self-management mean to you? Include specific past experiences or examples.
- How does software and its management differ from other kinds of production?
- What areas of software development management have you struggled with in the past, what have you learned, where have you changed your mind or evolved your thoughts over time?
-- Applications without a cover letter will not be considered --
Skills, Experience, and Background
Roles can be ambiguous and humans are fluid in their experiences. We look for you to meet some, but not all of the following experiences:
- Management of teams using Agile processes (Scrum/Kanban)
- Demonstrated experience recruiting and building top teams
- Demonstrated experience developing leaders and managers
- Demonstrated experience supervising top talent and establishing credibility and rapport
- Experience developing and implementing team organization focused on healthy team dynamics either by coaching team managers or by directly influencing a team when necessary
- Proven experience providing performance reviews and managing for performance in an environment of self managed teams.
- Broad and deep understanding of modern software technologies
- One or more programming paradigms such as OOP, Functional, etc.
- Experience with scripting languages such as Python
- RDBMS experience such as MSSQL, MySQL, etc. as well as modern NoSQL and alternative DB systems
- Exposure to multi-tier application stacks from DB to server and UI (e.g. .Net, Java/JS) as well as modern SOA/Microservice architectures
- Cloud technologies (e.g. AWS, Docker)
- B.S. CS or comparable engineering/science/technology field; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing software development teams using Agile/Scrum
- Minimum 3 years experience as a second level manager
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, strong collaboration skills
Benefits and Perks Include:
- 100% company paid medical plan for employees with buy-up options as well as dental and vision insurance for employees (dependent coverage available)
- $1,200/year fitness reimbursement to purchase any items related to healthy living
- 3 weeks of PTO for all new hires; increase in PTO at various years of service
- 4 week paid sabbatical for all employees after 7 years of employment
- Stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
- Dog friendly office
- Music Studio for all to practice, jam, and record
- On-site workout area access: treadmill, bike trainers, rowers, and full weight lifting gym with CrossFit equipment, with changing rooms and showers and towel service
- Corporate discounts on gym memberships and top-brand gear
- Beautiful North East Boulder, CO location.
- Flexible work schedule in a culture of trust
Reach out for more insight into this role! [email protected]