Greater Denver Area
Establish Pie as the preeminent commercial insurer among small business owners by delivering reliable, scalable tech solutions. You’ll be joining Pie at an exciting time as we were recently named to DC Inno’s 50 on Fire.
How You’ll Do It
As a Backend Engineer, you’ll be an instrumental member of Pie’s growing Engineering team. You will own and build large scale backend systems and micro-services. You will design, develop, and deliver powerful server-side applications.
There’s a good bit of fire-fighting in a highly dynamic startup environment, so you should enjoy new application development, root cause analysis and rapid problem-solving. Expect challenges while helping us build something awe-inspiring.
Whether It’s Right For You
You will be joining our team in downtown Denver, specifically LoDo within walking distance from Union Station. Everything we do is connected: we need you to be a strong communicator and a doer. We are a start-up so hands and minds are needed at peak efficiency.
This is a Senior-level position. We expect you’ll have spent 8 or more years working in similar software engineering and backend development roles. Of course, you’ll also need certain skills and abilities to do the work.
The Right Stuff
- Tech Experience. 8 or more years of a Software Engineer in commercial settings, ideally building large-scale backend systems.
- Required Tech Skills. Object-oriented languages like C#/.NET Core and/or Java. REST APIs. Agile (Scrum or Kanban) and JIRA
- Preferred Tech Skills. Functional languages like F#, Scala or Haskell. NoSQL databases, primarily MongoDB. Message-based architecture like RabbitMQ. Document databases. Web sockets. Agile Scrum and JIRA
- Integration. Show us how you’ve integrated with APIs and databases in the past
- Full SDLC. When we say this, we really mean you’ll be a part of the full SDLC
- Education. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field preferred or equivalent years of experience
- Adaptable. No other phrase describes a startup like chaotic change. You have to thrive in it, love it, and adapt as needed.
- Raise Our Game. Execute on your ideas and recommendations to position the team for exponential growth.
- Learning Mentality. Desire to quickly understand Pie’s platform, architecture, and integrations with 3rd party vendors.
Working at Pie
- You expect to challenge others and to be challenged.
- Your communication style is candid and compassionate.
- You share your knowledge. We aren’t here to compete with one another; we are in it to win it, together.
- You share our passion for the small business community.
We're building Pie for the next generation of small businesses. Our team is on a mission to make workers’ compensation less expensive, simpler, and more transparent. Easy as pie, in fact.
Founded in 2017, Pie is a fast-growing insurtech startup with home offices in Washington, DC, and Denver, CO. Pie offers an incredible career opportunity where you can use your expertise to disrupt an industry and serve the SMB community. Invest your time doing meaningful work in a fast-paced environment where your contribution will have an immediate impact.
Pie, backed by trusted global insurer Sirius Group, continues to expand nationwide in 2019 as we scale our team and operations. Want a slice? In return for your commitment to us, you’ll get a piece of Pie in the form of stock options. At Pie, we’re invested in you, and you in us.
Read Full Job Description