Product Designer (UI)
We are Backbone, a next generation product lifecycle management (PLM) solution that helps consumer goods companies manage complex design and product development processes from anywhere, on any device.
We are the “backbone” for the production process of many amazing brands including Warby Parker, Outdoor Voices, Black Diamond, Parachute Home and more.
We’re looking for an experienced Product Designer to join our team. Our ideal candidate:
- Has roughly two to five years of experience with UI/UX and Product design
- A robust and solid portfolio that can speak to your product design skills
- Advanced knowledge of utilizing and integrating dynamic symbols and linked libraries.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills, and can present your work and effectively communicate how your designs solve specific problems.
- Experience in designing consumer facing web applications
- Ability to both receive and give feedback, and handle design critiques thoughtfully and professionally.
- An attentive eye for detail down to the pixel.
- Experience creating responsive designs.
- Willingness to grow and enhance your skills both individually and as a team.
Responsibilities & Duties
As a product designer at Backbone, you will be placed on a small cross-functional product design team. On a typical day, you will:
- Start the day with our daily team standup, letting the team know what you did the previous workday, and if you’ve encountered any blockers that the team can help you resolve.
- Browse through JIRA for an epic and user stories to start designing, while balancing feedback and user requests.
- Create low-fidelity wireframes or sketches
- Present wireframes to our committee of subject matter experts (SME) for approval
- Handcraft high-fidelity designs based off of the committee’s feedback, technical feasibility, and other user stories utilizing Sketch while following Backbone’s DSM and our additional design standards.
- Develop fully clickable and polished prototypes using Invision.
- Confidently present and defend your design decisions before passing them over the Engineering team.
Skills you need
- Design thinking
- User research
- Wireframe design
- Ability to design and ideate high fidelity designs in Sketch
- Eye for detail, down to the pixel
- Great communication
- Collaborate well with others
Tools you should know how to use
- Invision (Prototype and Inspect)
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and Illustrator)
Other skills that are not required but nice to have
- Principle, FramerX, etc.
- HTML, CSS, Angular
- Advanced knowledge in Design System Managers (DSM) and best practices
- Highly experienced in Google’s Material Design System and guidelines
Benefits and other perks
- Located in Downtown Boulder, CO
- Full Time, with Work-life balance
- Company-sponsored health insurance, ST/LT disability and Life insurance
- Company-sponsored outings (camping, skiing, movies, design conferences)
- Dog friendly office (one dog, one day per week)
- Work remote once a week
- Unlimited paid time off
- Subsidized parking
- Stocked fridge with great snacks, coffee, and flavored sparkling water on tap
- Monthly Health and Wellness Credit
- Stock Options