Senior Big Data Engineer
Sling TV L.L.C. provides an over-the-top (internet delivered) television experience on TVs, tablets, gaming consoles, computers, smartphones, smart TVs and other streaming devices. Distributed across a variety of strategic device partners, including Google, Amazon, Apple TV, Microsoft, Roku, Samsung, LG, Comcast, and many others, Sling TV offers two primary domestic streaming services that collectively include more than 100 channels of top content. Featured programmers include Disney/ESPN, Fox, NBC, HBO, AMC, A&E, EPIX, Cinemax, Starz, NFL Network, NBA TV, NHL Networks, Pac-12 Networks, Hallmark, Viacom, and more. For Spanish-speaking customers, Sling Latino offers a suite of standalone and extra Spanish-programming packages tailored to the U S. Hispanic market. And for those seeking International content, Sling International currently provides more than 300 channels in 20 languages (available across multiple devices) to U.S. households.
Sling TV is the #1 Live TV Streaming Service Sling TV is a next-generation service that meets the entertainment needs of today’s contemporary viewers. Visit www.Sling.com. We are driven by curiosity, pride, adventure, and a desire to win – it’s in our DNA. We’re looking for people with boundless energy, intelligence, and an overwhelming need to achieve to join our team as we embark on the next chapter of our story.
Opportunity is here.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
About the position
Our mission is to build the next generation, web scale platform for SlingTV. Our environment is…
- Highly elastic
- Based on some of the latest and greatest cloud native technologies
- Very fast paced
Your team will be…
- Building the AWS based enterprise data lake for the organization.
- Driving a customer centric, highly personalized approach to the evolution of our platform.
- Delivering microservices into a Kubernetes based, web scale environment.
- Delivering software in a SAFe based agile environment, continuously.
In order to be successful in this role, you will need to be…
- Highly motivated, driven, hardworking and open to learning new things
- Not afraid to fail
- Capable of architecting and leading the implementation of an enterprise data lake in AWS
- Helping drive the big data teams’ strategic goals
- Able to build highly available, best practice based & horizontally scalable solutions
- Assisting in performance monitoring and capacity planning
- Driving a data driven organizational culture
- A team player. We have a great group of diverse folks working together in harmony. Big egos and “super heroes” need not apply.
Skills - Experience and Requirements
A successful Senior Big Data Engineer will:
- Be available to work onsite out of our American Fork, UT or Englewood, CO offices
- Have a 4-year college degree in Computer Science / Information Technology, master’s degree is preferred or equivalent professional experience
- 3+ years experience in AWS.
- 5+ years experience in Hadoop.
- 5+ years experience with Java programming.
Technologies in our environment:
Here are some of the key technologies that make up our environment. While we do not expect you to have a detailed understanding of each, the more of these you are familiar with the better.
- Automated testing of applications & Continuous Integration / TDD / BDD
- Confluent Stack / Kafka / ELK Stack / Couchbase / Cassandra / PostGreSQL / Elasticsearch
- Cloud Native tools: Kubernetes / Docker / Rancher / Consul / Vault / Salt Stack / Jenkins / Terraform / AWS / Jaeger / gRPC / Istio / Calico / Envoy
- Big Data tools: Kestrel / Storm / Spark / Apache Drill / Hive / Phoenix / MapReduce / Yarn / Pig / Hive / HDFS / HBase
- CI / CD & DevOps Culture
- 12 Factor Applications