Manager, Development - Data Warehousing
We are looking for a highly motivated and skilled Development Manager to lead our Data Warehousing team and to become part of the broader DHI software engineering group.
The Data Warehousing team is responsible for creating and exposing data sources and data models across the entire enterprise. This includes the traditional upstream responsibilities of sourcing and transforming the data from disparate sources such as Dice.com, Google Analytics, Salesforce.com and many more. Furthermore, the functional integration of many data-intense systems such as email marketing, operational monitoring, etc. This team works closely with our Data Science and Business Insights team on mining and enriching the data and presenting and visualizing it for business purposes.
We believe in both proven, established, best practices as well new, innovative ways of solving interesting and difficult data engineering problems across DHI’s brands. Our technology stack is a mixture of commercial as well Open Source products – we believe in using the right tool for the right job. We are leveraging both MS SQL Server and embracing AWS as our strategic platform going forward and are always evolving and enhancing.
In addition to building cool products that will enable our recruiting solutions such as Dice.com to connect the best professionals with the best career opportunities, you will also be responsible for leading and motivating a team of highly qualified and motivated engineers.
This is a hands-on, technical position. You should expect a 50/50 split between hands on technical work (writing code, designing, automating tests, creating build/deploy pipelines, peer reviews, etc.) and leadership work (directing traffic, career development, project management, etc.)
- Lead and perform application design, development, automated testing, performance analysis, and deployment efforts of your team
- Perform code reviews to create more efficient, reusable and testable code
- Collaborate with team and architect on evolving overall systems architecture
- Collaborate with product managers on setting the overall direction and roadmap
- Communicate project status to team members and business users
- Work with Product Management to understand and solve business issues
- Manage the cost of the Data Warehousing platform in collaboration with the Technical Operations team, leveraging native AWS services where it makes sense
- Operational support and tier 2/3 escalations – and building products where that rarely happens!
- Mentor and coach engineering team to improve process and technical capability
- Direct reports on the Data Warehouse team includes software engineers, architect – and potentially other roles in the future such QA Engineers, Business Analysts, and DevOps engineers
- Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- 3-4 years as a technical lead or architect, 1+ year as a Development Manager
- 5 or more years’ experience with analyzing, designing, coding, building, testing, and deploying application systems in a business environment
- Experience developing and leading teams within a formalized Agile environment required
- Recent hands-on experience with Microsoft database platform required – SQL Server, SSRS, SSIS, etc.
- Recent hands-on experience with data integration tools & technologies such as Attunity, Talend, AWS Glue, etc.
- Recent hands-on experience developing cloud-native Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence solutions based on AWS required (RDS, DynamoDB, Redshift, Glue, QuickSight, etc.)
- Recent hands-on experience with data modeling tools and concepts
- Hands-on experience with the broader AWS platform required – EC2, Elastic Beanstalk, CloudWatch, IAM, MQ/SQS, Serverless, etc.
- Recent hands-on experience with CI/CD tools (Jenkins, automated testing, etc.) preferred
- Experience with visualization tools such as Tableau required
- Experience with infrastructure tools such as Docker, Terraform, CloudFormation, Puppet a plus
- Experience with search platforms such as Solr and Elasticsearch a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- You take pride in delivering innovative value and increased capabilities to the market, mentoring true software craftsman and have a passion for using technology to innovate.