Greater Denver Area
Establish Pie as a top 10 commercial insurer among small business owners by providing our customers with an outstanding shopping experience while building a robust portfolio.
How You'll Do It
The Actuarial Analyst will support and execute Company strategy as directed by the Chief Analytics Officer. The Actuarial Analyst provides technical, actuarial analyses in the areas of pricing, ratemaking, reserving, quota-share reinsurance, analytics, and systems integration in support of Company pricing and financial goals. This person will provide technical, actuarial analyses in the areas of pricing, ratemaking, reserving, analytics, and systems integration.
The Day to Day
- Works with Pie’s reinsurers and reinsurance broker to optimize PIE’s reinsurance program and creates reporting, including bordereau materials, for reinsurance partners
- Completes assigned projects ensuring that they are delivered on time and within scope.
- Provides regular status updates to project/task lead.
- Identifies issues and recommends mitigation strategies.
- Ensures key stakeholders are identified and regularly informed of project status.
- Participates in the development and documentation of actuarial department processes.
- Uses statistical models to analyze data and calculate costs and risks
- Uses intermediate actuarial techniques to discover patterns, insights, and trends in PIE data.
- Collaborates with other Actuarial staff and business units within PIE to ensure effective execution of actuarial data driven initiatives.
- Collects, aggregates, and analyzes data from multiple internal and external sources.
- Writes and maintains code to build and maintain data pipelines for production models.
- Develops high quality, replicable predictive and descriptive tools for business use.
- Analyzes, refines, and documents functional requirements for modeling projects.
- Works with individuals in other departments in fulfilling the actuarial role within larger projects.
The Right Stuff
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university and completion of 1+ CAS exam required. Mathematics, Actuarial, or related degree preferred.
- Some workers compensation insurance industry experience preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server and reporting tools, snowflake, R, and python are a plus.
- Knowledge and Skills: Exposure to actuarial models and ability to assess results. Ability to apply mathematical concepts, traditional actuarial models of frequency and severity, standard statistical methods, modeling and simulation techniques, trend, indexing, cash flow and financial analysis, SQL and related database tools, basic programming skills, and data mining and other emerging statistical analytic techniques. Ability to grasp analytic concepts and learn new tools and logic within established processes.
Working at Pie
- You expect to challenge others and to be challenged.
- Your communication style is candid and compassionate.
- You share your knowledge. We aren’t here to compete with one another; we are in it to win it, together.
- You share our passion for the small business community.
We're building Pie for the next generation of small businesses. Our team is on a mission to make workers’ compensation less expensive, simpler, and more transparent. Easy as pie, in fact.
Founded in 2017, Pie is a fast-growing insurtech startup with home offices in Washington, DC, and Denver, CO. Pie offers an incredible career opportunity where you can use your expertise to disrupt an industry and serve the SMB community. Invest your time doing meaningful work in a fast-paced environment where your contribution will have an immediate impact.
Pie, backed by trusted global insurer Sirius Group, continues to expand nationwide in 2019 as we scale our team and operations. Want a slice? In return for your commitment to us, you’ll get a piece of Pie in the form of stock options. At Pie, we’re invested in you, and you in us.
Read Full Job Description